Associate Department Head for Biomedical Engineering Undergraduate Affairs
Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Associate Professor of Optical Sciences
Associate Professor, BIO5 Institute
I received an engineering degree (Dipl. Ing. ETH, 1989, mechanical engineering) and a Ph.D. (Dr. sc. techn. ETH, 1995, biomedical engineering) from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Zürich Switzerland. As post-doctoral fellow I joined the laboaroty of Rebecca Richards-Kortum (Optical Spectroscopy Laboratory) at The University of Texas, Austin. In 2001, I became faculty at the University of Arizona where I am currently an Associate Professor in Biomedical Engineering. I am also holding appointments in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Optical Sciences, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and the BIO5 Institute.
From 2012 until end of 2014, I served as interim Department Head in Biomedical Engineering when our program grew from 134 to 200 undergraduate students and the first two classes graduated from the program. I currently serve as associate chair for undergraduate affairs.
I develop clinical imaging instrumentation to evaluate gynecological and gastrointestinal cancer. Using microscopy techniques I also study the extra cellular matrix and angiogenesis.
In 2016 I developed the Sophomore Design course for BME undergraduate students where they experience hands-on training on electro mechanical systems. Currenlty I develop a medical devive design course for the Junior year.
My most influential work is listed on Google Scholar.
- Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
- Selective Coronary Excimer Laser Angioplasy
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
- Interim Department Head Biomedical Engineering, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2012 - 2014)
- Associate Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2007 - Ongoing)
- Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (2001 - 2007)
- Research Associate, University of Texas, Austin, Texas (1998 - 2001)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Texas, Austin, Texas (1995 - 1998)
- Research Associate, ETH (1995 - 1995)
Instrumentation,Biomedical Optics,Signal and Data Analysis,Mechatronics & RoboticsDevice Design
Microscopy,Optical SpectroscopySignal and Data Analysis
Meas&Data Anls Bio Eng
BME 417 (Spring 2018)
ECE 417 (Spring 2018)
BME 517 (Spring 2018)
ECE 517 (Spring 2018)
BME 517 (Spring 2017)
ECE 517 (Spring 2017)
ECE 417 (Spring 2017)
BME 417 (Spring 2017)
Intermediate Engr. Design
BME 210 (Spring 2018)
BME 210 (Spring 2017)
BME 497G (Fall 2017)
BME 497G (Fall 2016)
BME 499 (Fall 2016)
PSIO 492 (Fall 2016)
- Black, J. F., & Barton, J. K. (2017). Ultraminiature optical design for multispectral fluorescence imaging endoscopes. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 22(3), 036013-22-10. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1117/1.JBO.22.3.036013
- Keenan, M., Tate, T. H., Kieu, K., Black, J. F., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2017). Design and characterization of a combined OCT and wide field imaging falloposcope for ovarian cancer detection. Biomedical Optics Express, 8(1), 124--136.
- Pacheco, S., Wang, C., Chawla, M. K., Nguyen, M., Baggett, B. K., Utzinger, U., Barnes, C. A., & Liang, R. (2017). High resolution, high speed, long working distance, large field of view confocal fluorescence microscope. Scientific Reports, 7(1), 13349.
- Dean, Z. S., Elias, P., Jamilpour, N., Utzinger, U., & Wong, P. K. (2016). Probing 3D Collective Cancer Invasion Using Double-Stranded Locked Nucleic Acid Biosensors. Analytical Chemistry, 88(17), 8902--8907.
- Tate, T. H., Baggett, B., Rice, P. F., Koevary, J. W., Orsinger, G. V., Nymeyer, A. C., Welge, W. A., Saboda, K., Roe, D. J., Hatch, K. D., & others, . (2016). Multispectral fluorescence imaging of human ovarian and fallopian tube tissue for early-stage cancer detection. Journal of biomedical optics, 21(5), 056005--056005.
- Vande Geest, J. P., Haskett, D. G., McIntyre, J. O., Maestas, D., Howerton, S., Mcgrath, D. V., Smith, T., Utzinger, U., Ardilia, C., Doetschman, T. C., Ardilia, C., Doetschman, T. C., Smith, T., Utzinger, U., Howerton, S., McGgrath, D. V., McIntyre, J. O., Maestas, D., Vande Geest, J. P., & Haskett, D. G. (2016). 2-Photon characterization of optical proteolytic beacons for imaging changes in MMP activity in a mouse model of aneurysm. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 22, 349-360. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S1431927616000088
- Bal, U., Engin, M., & Utzinger, U. (2015). A multiresolution approach for enhancement and denoising of microscopy images. SIGNAL IMAGE AND VIDEO PROCESSING, 9(4), 787-799.
- Carbary-Ganz, J. L., Welge, W. A., Barton, J. K., & Utzinger, U. (2015). In vivo molecular imaging of colorectal cancer using quantum dots targeted to vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 and optical coherence tomography/laser-induced fluorescence dual-modality imaging. Journal of Biomedical Optics, 20, 096015.
- Utzinger, U., Baggett, B., Weiss, J., Hoying, J., & Edgar, L. (2015). Large-scale time series microscopy of neovessel growth during angiogenesis. Angiogenesis, 1-14.
- Carbary-Ganz, J. L., Barton, J. K., & Utzinger, U. (2014). Quantum dots targeted to vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 as a contrast agent for the detection of colorectal cancer. Journal of biomedical optics, 19(8), 086003.
- Edgar, L. T., Hoying, J. B., Utzinger, U., Underwood, C. J., Krishnan, L., Baggett, B. K., Maas, S. A., Guilkey, J. E., & Weiss, J. A. (2014). Mechanical interaction of angiogenic microvessels with the extracellular matrix. Journal of biomechanical engineering, 136(2), 021001.
- Geest, J. P., Tong, J., Danford, F., Ayyalasomayajula, A., & Utzinger, U. (2014). Quantification of the pressure dependent anterior microstructure of the lamina cribrosa using multiphoton microscopy. Investigative Ophthalmology \& Visual Science, 55, 4248--4248.
- Hoying, J. B., Utzinger, U., & Weiss, J. A. (2014). Formation of microvascular networks: role of stromal interactions directing angiogenic growth. Microcirculation (New York, N.Y. : 1994), 21(4), 278-89.
- Watson, J. M., Marion, S. L., Rice, P. F., Bentley, D. L., Besselsen, D. G., Utzinger, U., Hoyer, P. B., & Barton, J. K. (2014). In vivo time-serial multi-modality optical imaging in a mouse model of ovarian tumorigenesis. Cancer Biology and Therapy, 15(1), 42-60.
- Williams, M. J., Utzinger, U., Barkmeier-Kraemer, J. M., & Vande Geest, J. P. (2014). Differences in the microstructure and biomechanical properties of the recurrent laryngeal nerve as a function of age and location. Journal of biomechanical engineering, 136(8).
- Keenan, M., Tate, T. H., Black, J. F., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2018, January). Performance of combined OCT/MFI microendoscope for ovarian cancer detection. In SPIE Photonics West; Endoscopic Microscopy XI; and Optical Techniques in Pulmonary Medicine III, 9691, 96910D.
- Keenan, M., Howard, C., Tate, T., McGuiness, I., Sauer-Budge, A., Black, J., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2016, March). Design of an everting balloon to deploy a microendoscope to the fallopian tubes. In Proc. SPIE, 9689, 968944-968944-6.
- Wang, C., Pacheco, S., Baggett, B., Chawla, M., Gray, D., Utzinger, U., Barnes, C., & Liang, R. (2016). Whole brain imaging with a scalable microscope. In Clinical and Translational Biophotonics.
- Black, J. F., Tate, T., Keenan, M., Swan, E., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. (2015, Spring). A six-color four-laser mobile platform for multi-spectral fluorescence imaging endoscopy. In SPIE BiOS, 93040T--93040T.
- Swan, E., Tate, T., Keenan, M., Black, J. F., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. (2015, March). Stray light mitigation in a novel endoscope for fallopian tubes. In SPIE BiOS, 93041O--93041O.
- Tate, T., Baggett, B., Rice, P., Watson, J., Orsinger, G., Nymeyer, A. C., Welge, W. A., Keenan, M., Saboda, K., Roe, D. J., & others, . (2015, Spring). Multispectral fluorescence imaging of human ovarian and Fallopian tube tissue for early stage cancer detection. In SPIE BiOS, 93130L--93130L.
- Tate, T., Keenan, M., Swan, E., Black, J., Utzinger, U., Barton, J., Figueiro, M., Lerner, S., Muschaweck, J., & Rogers, J. (2014, December). Optical design of an optical coherence tomography and multispectral fluorescence imaging endoscope to detect early stage ovarian cancer. In INTERNATIONAL OPTICAL DESIGN CONFERENCE 2014, 9293.
- George, R., Krishnamurthy, R., Lovisa, B., Krikpatrick, N. D., & Utzinger, U. (2006, January). Clinical device for early detection of ovarian cancer using optical spectroscopy. In Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE, 6091, xiii.
- Ram, S., Howerton, S. J., Danford, F. L., Utzinger, U., Rodriguez, J. J., & Vande Geest, J. (2016, May 1-5). Racioethnic Differences in Biomechanical Environment of the Lamina Cribrosa. ARVO 2016 Annual Meeting. Seattle, WA: Assn. for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology.
- Keenan, M., Tate, T., Swan, E. J., Black, J. F., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2015, Spring). Dual-modal optical imaging microendoscope for ovarian cancer detection. BIOS Photonics West. San Francisco.
- Utzinger, U. (2015, September). Imaging Tissue with UV light. Biomedical Engineering Seminar. Texas A&M University, College Station: http://engineering.tamu.edu/biomedical/seminar.
- Keenan, M., Tate, T., Swan, E., Black, J., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. (2014, January). Optical Imaging Falloposcope for Minimally Invasive Ovarian Cancer Detection. Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology.
- Keenan, M., Tate, T., Swan, E., Black, J., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2014, October). Optical Coherence Tomography and Multispectral Fluorescence Imaging Falloposcope. Frontiers in OpticsOptical Society of America.
- Utzinger, U. (2014, June). Imaging tissue with UV light, is it worth it?. BC Cancer Research Seminar Series. Vancouver, CA: BC Cancer Agency.