Director, BIO5 Institute
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Professor of Biosystems Engineering
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Professor of Optical Sciences
Professor, BIO5 Institute
Jennifer Barton received the BS and MS degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Texas at Austin and University of California Irvine, respectively. She worked for McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) on the Space Station program before returning to The University of Texas at Austin to obtain the Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering in 1998. She is currently Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Optical Sciences, and Agriculture and Biosystems Engineering at the University of Arizona. She has served as department head of Biomedical Engineering, Associate Vice President for Research, Interim Vice President for Research, and is currently Interim Director of the BIO5 Institute, a collaborative research institute dedicated to solving complex biology-based problems affecting humanity.
Barton develops miniature endoscopes that combine multiple optical imaging techniques, particularly optical coherence tomography and fluorescence spectroscopy. She evaluates the suitability of these endoscopic techniques for detecting early cancer development in patients and pre-clinical models. Additionally, her research into light-tissue interaction and dynamic optical properties of blood laid the groundwork for a novel therapeutic laser to treat disorders of the skin’s blood vessels. She has published over 90 peer-reviewed journal papers in these research areas. She is a fellow of SPIE- the International Optics Society, and a fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering.
- Ph.D. Biomedical Engineering
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas, United States
- Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona (1999 - Ongoing)
- Engineer Specialist, McDonnell Douglas (1988 - 1994)
- President's Award
- SPIE, Fall 2016
Biomedical OpticsOptical Coherence TomographyFluorescence SpectroscopyTissue OpticsColon CancerOvarian Cancer
CBIO GIDP Seminar Series
CBIO 596H (Spring 2018)
CBIO 596H (Spring 2017)
Challenges Biomed Engrng
BME 295C (Spring 2018)
BME 295C (Spring 2017)
BME 492 (Spring 2018)
BME 492 (Fall 2017)
BME 492 (Spring 2017)
OPTI 492 (Summer I 2016)
BME 910 (Spring 2018)
OPTI 910 (Fall 2017)
BME 910 (Fall 2017)
OPTI 910 (Spring 2017)
OPTI 910 (Fall 2016)
CBIO 695A (Fall 2017)
CBIO 920 (Fall 2017)
OPTI 920 (Fall 2016)
Directed Graduate Research
OPTI 792 (Spring 2017)
Rsrch Meth Biomed Engr
BME 597G (Spring 2017)
- Rice, P. F., Ehrichs, K. G., Jones, M. S., Chen, H., Hsu, C. H., Abril, E. R., Nagle, R. B., Besselsen, D. G., Barton, J. K., & Ignatenko, N. A. (2018). Does Mutated K-RAS Oncogene Attenuate the Effect of Sulindac in Colon Cancer Chemoprevention?. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 11(1), 16-26.
- Black, K. C., Kirkpatrick, N. D., Troutman, T. S., Xu, L., Vagner, J., Gillies, R. J., Barton, J. K., Utzinger, U., & Romanowski, M. (2008). Gold nanorods targeted to delta opioid receptor: plasmon-resonant contrast and photothermal agents. Molecular imaging, 7(1), 50-7.
- Chandra, S., Nymeyer, A. C., Rice, P. F., Gerner, E. W., & Barton, J. K. (2017). Intermittent Dosing with Sulindac Provides Effective Colorectal Cancer Chemoprevention in the Azoxymethane-Treated Mouse Model. Cancer prevention research (Philadelphia, Pa.), 10(8), 459-466.
- Howlett, I. D., Han, W., Gordon, M., Rice, P., Barton, J. K., & Kostuk, R. K. (2017). Volume holographic imaging endoscopic design and construction techniques. Journal of biomedical optics, 22(5), 56010.
- Howlett, I. D., Han, W., Rice, P., Barton, J. K., & Kostuk, R. K. (2017). Wavelength-coded volume holographic imaging endoscope for multidepth imaging. Journal of biomedical optics, 22(10), 1-4.
- Keenan, M., Tate, T. H., Kieu, K., Black, J. F., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2017). Design and characterization of a combined OCT and wide field imaging falloposcope for ovarian cancer detection. Biomedical optics express, 8(1), 124-136.
- Tate, T. H., Keenan, M., Black, J., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2017). Ultraminiature optical design for multispectral fluorescence imaging endoscopes. Journal of biomedical optics, 22(3), 36013.
- Barton, J. K., Amirsolaimani, B., Rice, P., Hatch, K., & Kieu, K. (2016). Three-photon imaging of ovarian cancer. PHOTONIC THERAPEUTICS AND DIAGNOSTICS XII, 9689.
- Harpel, K., Leung, S., Rice, P. F., Jones, M., Barton, J. K., & Bommireddy, R. (2016). Imaging colon cancer development in mice: IL-6 deficiency prevents adenoma in azoxymethane-treated Smad3 knockouts. Physics in medicine and biology, 61(3), N60-9.
- Keenan, M., Howard, C., Tate, T., McGuiness, I., Sauer-Budge, A., Black, J., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2016). Design of an everting balloon to deploy a microendoscope to the fallopian tubes.. PHOTONIC THERAPEUTICS AND DIAGNOSTICS XII, 9689.
- Tate, T. H., Baggett, B., Rice, P. F., Koevary, J. W., Orsinger, G. V., Nymeyer, A. C., Welge, W. A., Saboda, K., Roe, D. J., Hatch, K. D., Chambers, S. K., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2016). Multispectral fluorescence imaging of human ovarian and fallopian tube tissue for early-stage cancer detection. Journal of biomedical optics, 21(5), 56005.
- Welge, W. A., & Barton, J. K. (2016). Optical coherence tomography imaging of colonic crypts in a mouse model of colorectal cancer. ENDOSCOPIC MICROSCOPY XI; AND OPTICAL TECHNIQUES IN PULMONARY MEDICINE III, 9691.
- Welge, W. A., & Barton, J. K. (2017). In vivo endoscopic Doppler optical coherence tomography imaging of the colon. Lasers in surgery and medicine.
- Black, J. F., Tate, T., Keenan, M., Swan, E., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. (2015). A six-color four-laser mobile platform for Multi-spectral Fluorescence Imaging Endoscopy. ENDOSCOPIC MICROSCOPY X; AND OPTICAL TECHNIQUES IN PULMONARY MEDICINE II, 9304.
- Black, J., Tate, T., Keenan, M., Swan, E., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. (2015). A Six-Color Four-Laser Mobile Platform for Multi-Spectral Fluorescence Imaging Endoscopy. 2015 CONFERENCE ON LASERS AND ELECTRO-OPTICS (CLEO).
- Barton, J. K., Tate, T., & McGregor, D. (2017, February). Single lens system for forward-viewing navigation and scanning side-viewing optical coherence tomography. In SPIE Photonics West, Endoscopic Microscopy XII, Proc. SPIE 10040.
- Winkler, A. M., F., P., Troutman, T. S., Backer, M. V., Backer, J. M., Drezek, R. A., Romanowski, M., & Barton, J. K. (2008, January). Fluorescent and scattering contrast agents in a mouse model of colorectal cancer. In Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging - Proceedings of SPIE, 6851.
- Barton, J. K. (2016, June 9, 2016). Optical Imaging Falloposcope for Ovarian Cancer Detection. Point of Care Translational Research Network. Bethesda, MD: NIH.
- Barton, J. K. (2016, Nov 9). Validating a mouse model of ovarian cancer for early detection through imaging. Oncology Models Forum. Bethesda, MD: NIH/NCI.
- Keenan, M., Tate, T., Swan, E. J., Black, J. F., Utzinger, U., & Barton, J. K. (2015, Spring). Dual-modal optical imaging microendoscope for ovarian cancer detection. BIOS Photonics West. San Francisco.