Bioscience Research Labs 321
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Dr. Elizabeth Hutchinson is an assistant professor in the department of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Arizona and leads the multi-scale brain imaging lab, which uses pre-clinical imaging – especially MRI – to better understand brain disorders and develop translationally relevant imaging markers. Dr. Hutchinson has an educational background in the physical sciences and neuroscience and her research interests include neuroimaging and pre-clinical models of brain disorders. She has contributed primarily in the areas of diffusion MRI methods and traumatic brain injury (TBI) models and in her work has identified several novel markers of brain pathology that follow brain trauma. Within these broad research areas, her research interests include: radiologic-pathologic correspondence studies to associate imaging markers with their biological underpinnings, the development of processing and analysis tools for multi-brain studies, the identification of imaging markers in human-similar models of injury and fixed specimen studies to establish the translational relevance of novel imaging markers. Her current research activities continue to explore and apply advanced neuroimaging approaches through the use of translationally relevant models and pre-clinical neuroimaging across a range of spatial scales and modalities.
- Ph.D. Neuroscience
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, United States
- Diffusion tensor imaging of central nervous system abnormalities with an emphasis on epilepsy
- B.S. Physics
- The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, United States
- NIH (2016 - 2019)
- NIH (2012 - 2016)
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin (2009 - 2012)
MRI methods, Neuroscience
Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Pre-clinical rodent and ferret models, Traumatic, Brain Injury, Epilepsy, Diffusion MRI
BME 416 (Spring 2021)
BME 416 (Spring 2020)
Rsrch Meth Biomed Engr
BME 592 (Fall 2020)
BME 597G (Fall 2019)
Biomedical Engr Seminar
BME 696A (Fall 2021)
BME 920 (Fall 2021)
BME 920 (Spring 2021)
- Schwerin, S. C., Chatterjee, M., Hutchinson, E. B., Djankpa, F. T., Armstrong, R. C., McCabe, J. T., Perl, D. P., & Juliano, S. L. (2021). Expression of GFAP and Tau Following Blast Exposure in the Cerebral Cortex of Ferrets. Journal of neuropathology and experimental neurology, 80(2), 112-128.
- Benjamini, D., Hutchinson, E. B., Komlosh, M. E., Comrie, C. J., Schwerin, S. C., Zhang, G., Pierpaoli, C., & Basser, P. J. (2020). Direct and specific assessment of axonal injury and spinal cord microenvironments using diffusion correlation imaging. NeuroImage, 221, 117195.
- Sadeghi, N., Hutchinson, E., Van, R. C., FitzGibbon, E. J., Butman, J. A., Webb, B. D., Facio, F., Brooks, B. P., Collins, F. S., Jabs, E. W., & others, . (2020). Brain phenotyping in Moebius syndrome and other congenital facial weakness disorders by diffusion MRI morphometry. Brain Communications.
- Han, T. U., Root, J., Reyes, L. D., Huchinson, E. B., Hoffmann, J. D., Lee, W. S., Barnes, T. D., & Drayna, D. (2019). Human stuttering mutations engineered into mice cause vocalization deficits and astrocyte pathology in the corpus callosum. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 116(35), 17515-17524.
- Hutchinson, E. B., Chatterjee, M., Reyes, L., Djankpa, F. T., Valiant, W. G., Dardzinski, B., Mattapallil, J. J., Pierpaoli, C., & Juliano, S. L. (2019). The effect of Zika virus infection in the ferret. The Journal of comparative neurology, 527(10), 1706-1719.
- Komlosh, M. E., Benjamini, D., Williamson, N. W., Horkay, F., Hutchinson, E. B., & Basser, P. J. (2019). A novel MRI phantom to study interstitial fluid transport in the glymphatic system. Magnetic resonance imaging, 56, 181-186.
- Avram, A. V., Sarlls, J. E., Hutchinson, E., & Basser, P. J. (2018). Efficient experimental designs for isotropic generalized diffusion tensor MRI (IGDTI). Magnetic resonance in medicine, 79(1), 180-194.
- Hutchinson, E. B., Schwerin, S. C., Avram, A. V., Juliano, S. L., & Pierpaoli, C. (2018). Diffusion MRI and the detection of alterations following traumatic brain injury. Journal of neuroscience research, 96(4), 612-625.
- Hutchinson, E. B., Schwerin, S. C., Radomski, K. L., Sadeghi, N., Komlosh, M. E., Irfanoglu, M. O., Juliano, S. L., & Pierpaoli, C. (2018). Detection and Distinction of Mild Brain Injury Effects in a Ferret Model Using Diffusion Tensor MRI (DTI) and DTI-Driven Tensor-Based Morphometry (D-TBM). Frontiers in neuroscience, 12, 573.
- Komlosh, M. E., Benjamini, D., Hutchinson, E. B., King, S., Haber, M., Avram, A. V., Holtzclaw, L. A., Desai, A., Pierpaoli, C., & Basser, P. J. (2018). Using double pulsed-field gradient MRI to study tissue microstructure in traumatic brain injury (TBI). Microporous and mesoporous materials : the official journal of the International Zeolite Association, 269, 156-159.
- Sadeghi, N., Arrigoni, F., D'Angelo, M. G., Thomas, C., Irfanoglu, M. O., Hutchinson, E. B., Nayak, A., Modi, P., Bassi, M. T., & Pierpaoli, C. (2018). Tensor-based morphometry using scalar and directional information of diffusion tensor MRI data (DTBM): Application to hereditary spastic paraplegia. Human brain mapping, 39(12), 4643-4651.
- Schwerin, S. C., Chatterjee, M., Imam-Fulani, A. O., Radomski, K. L., Hutchinson, E. B., Pierpaoli, C. M., & Juliano, S. L. (2018). Progression of histopathological and behavioral abnormalities following mild traumatic brain injury in the male ferret. Journal of neuroscience research, 96(4), 556-572.
- Haber, M., Hutchinson, E. B., Sadeghi, N., Cheng, W. H., Namjoshi, D., Cripton, P., Irfanoglu, M. O., Wellington, C., Diaz-Arrastia, R., & Pierpaoli, C. (2017). Defining an Analytic Framework to Evaluate Quantitative MRI Markers of Traumatic Axonal Injury: Preliminary Results in a Mouse Closed Head Injury Model. eNeuro, 4(5).
- Hutchinson, E. B., Avram, A. V., Irfanoglu, M. O., Koay, C. G., Barnett, A. S., Komlosh, M. E., Özarslan, E., Schwerin, S. C., Juliano, S. L., & Pierpaoli, C. (2017). Analysis of the effects of noise, DWI sampling, and value of assumed parameters in diffusion MRI models. Magnetic resonance in medicine, 78(5), 1767-1780.
- Hutchinson, E. B., Schwerin, S. C., Radomski, K. L., Sadeghi, N., Jenkins, J., Komlosh, M. E., Irfanoglu, M. O., Juliano, S. L., & Pierpaoli, C. (2017). Population based MRI and DTI templates of the adult ferret brain and tools for voxelwise analysis. NeuroImage, 152, 575-589.